LawForNonProfits (LFNP) was developed by the Pacific Legal Education and Outreach Society (PLEO). LFNP provides access to information and education resources for non-profits to help them manage their legal compliance. These are the terms of LFNP. These terms affect the legal rights of its users, so please read them carefully.
Scope of LFNP
LFNP is designed to help non-profits understand when a problem is a legal problem and to identify options and possible next steps. In some cases, the next step may be to get legal advice. Legal advice involves the application of the law to a particular situation and an opinion on how best to proceed. The resources on LFNP are for information purposes and are not a substitute for legal advice.
Applicable Law and Courts
Use of LFNP is governed by the laws that apply in the Province of British Columbia. In the unlikely event of a legal dispute, you agree to resolve it in British Columbia courts using Canadian law.
Your use of LFNP is your responsibility. LFNP users acknowledge and accept the following:
- LFNP is not the same as legal advice. LFNP is proud to provide you with legal information, resources, and templates through LFNP. Legal information is not the same as legal advice. Legal information explains the law in general terms. Legal information may identify options and possible next steps. Legal advice applies the law to a person’s unique situation. Legal advice includes recommending a particular option or next step or assuring a person that certain legal information applies to them.
- LFNP does not endorse or guarantee any other websites or content. Where links to other websites are provided within LFNP, they are for information purposes only. While every effort is made to ensure LFNP only links to reputable websites, PLEO does not endorse or guarantee the accuracy of content on those websites. Further, PLEO has no control over the availability of the linked pages.
- LFNP may not be continuously available or up to date. Laws change and while PLEO updates information continuously, there may be instances where content is out of date.
- LFNP may not be available on some mobile devices. The software on mobile devices may or may not be compatible with LFNP.
- Use of LFNP may be terminated. PLEO may immediately terminate your ability to access the LFNP at any time, for any reason, with or without notice.
- No guarantees or warranties are provided, you use LFNP at your own risk. PLEO and its affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees, contractors, advisors, and agents make no representations or warranties of any kind that access to LFNP will be uninterrupted, without delay or failure, or as to the accuracy or the completeness of the data provided. To the fullest extent permitted by law, all warranties of any type, express or implied, are expressly disclaimed. Any information or material accessed or otherwise obtained using LFNP or services by any means of access whatsoever is at your own discretion and risk and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system, loss of data, failure to transmit data or any other loss that results from accessing, using or relying on any such material. We do not warrant that the website is free of contaminating or other harmful components.
Limitation of Liability
Your use of LFNP is at your sole risk which means PLEO is not liable for any problems that result from your use of LFNP. More specifically, PLEO will not be liable under contract law, tort law, or otherwise, for any damages of any kind arising from your use of LFNP or any information obtained therein.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, in no event will PLEO be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential, exemplary, or other damages (including damages for loss of data or profit, or any other pecuniary loss, arising out of the use, or inability to use LFNP). This limitation will apply even if PLEO has been advised of the possibility
of such damages. These limitations will apply to the fullest extent permitted by law.
You expressly agree that these limitations, exclusions of liability, and disclaimers will survive and continue to apply in the case of a fundamental breach or breaches of, the failure of essential purpose of contract, the failure of any exclusive remedy or the termination or suspension by us of your use of, or access to, LFNP.
Use of Content
If you are interested in using the LFNP content, please contact us.