Non-Profit Housing - SOCIETIES Act Transition Hub
Law For Non-Profits has created Societies Act Transition Hubs to support smaller and rural non-profit societies. For Societies with a housing focus (and which have an agreement with BC Housing for funding or property) anywhere in BC, the Non-Profit Housing Transition Hub is supported by BC Housing and coordinated through the BC Non-Profit Housing Association and has been established to serve the specific need of the non-profit housing sector.
What is the Process for accessing the Housing Hub?
You must be registered with the Hub to access the support and services of the Hub. Why do it? It's an easy way to make sure that your housing society is supported with the maximum benefits made possible by the collaboration of BC Housing, BCNPHA and Law for Non-Profits. Here are the steps:
- Register with the Hub by clicking on the button below and filling in the form. When you submit it, the process begins.
- If you have already attended an event or viewed the online workshop or webinar, you can indicate so on the form. In order to focus the expertise of the volunteers on specific issues and questions housing societies may have, you are expected to have done one of these workshops and have covered the foundational information they provide.
- If you don't have a specific question when you register for the Hub, leave the section blank. If you do have a question relating to transition at that time, there is a place to ask it before you submit.
- You will be contacted by email by the Housing Hub Coordinator to confirm your registration.
- If you are registering with a specific question, the Hub Coordinator will assign it to a law student and you will be contacted with a response within a week. Keep in mind that response time can be affected by the volume of questions and the availability of the law student volunteers at any time.
- If you are registering without a specific question, the Hub Coordinator will, in addition to confirming your registration, add you to a contact list and send you information that is pertinent to non-profit housing societies in transition and to inform you of events might be helpful to your society in this process.
- If you have a transition question at a later date, you can submit it by email to the Housing Hub Coordinator.
The Housing Hub provides access to workshops created by LFNP to support the transition process. The workshops are generally offered as part of BCNPHA's RENT events in regions throughout BC. In addition, the BCHPHA offers webinars and a self guided course that are available on their website ( http://bcnpha.ca/resources/new-societies-act/ ) developed by LFNP to assist Housing Societies specifically.
Ask A Law Student
If, after registering with the Hub and attending a workshop or webinar, your Housing Society has a specific question about the transition process, send your question to our Housing Hub Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will assign it to a trained volunteer law student. The students are supervised by LFNP Legal Supervisor, Martha Rans.
Please be patient. Response time depends on volume of requests and the availability of the volunteers.
REGISTER with the Transition Hub
Read through the steps above and click on the 'Register - Housing Hub' button. Your contact information will be sent to the Housing Hub Coordinator who will respond directly to you as explained below.
Please let us know the name of your Housing Society, and if you are representing more than one organization you can list them in the box provided.
In order to attend workshops as organized by the BCNPHA Hub, you must register through this page as an eligible organization with an agreement with BC Housing in British Columbia.
This also gives you access to the Information clinics that may be offered as from time to time, and access to the trained law students who can answer questions pertaining to your Society's Transition to the New Act.